In this article, You will learn the 200 Most Important idioms With Bengali Meaning And Sentence
কোন শব্দগুচ্ছ sentence এ একটি parts of speech এর ন্যায় ব্যবহৃত হয় এবং তাদের অন্তর্গত শব্দ গুলোর কোন অর্থ প্রকাশ নাকরে একেবারে ভিন্ন অর্থ প্রকাশ করে, তাদের Idioms বলা হয়।
– There is no bad blood between the two cousins.
Polash is good for nothing.
I left the hostel for good.
উপরের বাক্যগুলােতে মােটা হরফে লেখা শব্দসমষ্টিগুলাে শাব্দিক কোনাে অর্থ প্রকাশ করছে না। প্রথম বাক্যের bad blood অর্থ
শত্রুতা। দ্বিতীয় বাক্যের good for nothing শব্দসমষ্টির অর্থ ‘অপদার্থ এবং ততীয় বাক্যের for good অর্থ চিরাদনের জন্য
ইংরেজিতে এ জাতীয় শব্দসমষ্টিকে Idiom বলা হয়। মনে রাখতে হবে যে, সব idioms-ই Phrase কিন্তু সব Phrase idioms নয়।
Phrase যখন এর অন্তর্গত শব্দগুলাের আক্ষরিক অর্থ প্রকাশ না করে সম্পূর্ণ ভিন্ন অর্থ প্রকাশ করে, তখন তাকে ldiom বলা হয়।
নিচে কিছু Idioms -এর ব্যবহারসহ উদাহরণ দেওয়া হলাে :
Important idioms With Bengali Meaning
1. A bed of roses (পুষপশয্যা )– Life is not a bed of roses.
2. A child of fortune ( বরপুত্র )- Shakespeare was a child of fortune.
3. A far cry (অনেক ব্যবধান)- It is a far cry from Dhaka to London.
4. A gala day (আনন্দের দিন)– People enjoy much on a gala day.
5. A good deal (প্রচুর পরিমাণে) – A good deal of money was spent for building the bridge.
6. A hard nut to crack (কঠিন সমস্যা) – Overpopulation is a hard nut to crack for Bangladesh.
7. A jaundiced eye (বিদ্বেষভরা চোখ বা মন) – A judge should not have a jaundiced eye.
8. A laughing stock (হাস্যকার ব্যাপার বা ব্যক্তি) A fool is a laughing teek.
9. A lot (প্রচুর পরিমাণে) He earns a lot of money.
10. A man without fear (নির্ভীক) A man without fear can attain success in life.
11. A rainy day (দুর্দিন ) We should save something against a rainy day.
12. A square meal (ভরপেট আহার ) The poor people cannot afford a square meal every day.
13. A white elephant (ব্যয়সাধ্য কিন্তু তেমন উপকারে আসে না।)- The new project is so costly that it has become a white elephant for the government.
14. An irony of fate (ভাগ্যের পরিহাস) It was an irony of fate that the brilliant boy failed in the examination.
15. Apple of discord (বিবাদের বিষয়) The land is the apple of discord hetween the two brothers.
16. Apple of one’s eye (অতি প্রিয়জন) The nice child is the apple of its mother’s eyes.
17. Arm in arm (কাধে কাধ মিলিয়ে ) Now men and women work arm in afm.
18. As a matter of fact (প্রকৃতপক্ষে )-As a matter of fact, he is quite innocent.
19. As a rule (সাধারণত/নিয়মমাফিক) As a rule, I go to bed at 10 pm
20. As a whole (মোটের উপর). As a whole, he seems to be a modest man.
21. As far as (যতদূর)-As far as I know, he is a good man.
22. As far as possible (যতদূর সম্ভব)-I shall help you as far as possible.
23. As if (যেন)-le speaks as if he knew everything.
24. As it were (যেন) The sun is, as it were, the lamp of the carth.
25. As long as (যতক্ষন পর্যন্ত)- Please wait for me as long as I do not return.
26. As much as ( যতদূর সম্ভব)– You can make money as much as you need.
27. As though (মনে হয় যেন )- He talks as though he were a fool.
28. As usual (বরাবরের মতো )He goes to bed at 10 pm as usual.
29. As well (ও)- Shakespeare is a dramatist and a poet as well.
30. As well as (এবং)- Sita as well as her sisters sings well.
31. At a breath (এক দমে) I can run five miles at a breath.
32. At a glance ( এক নজরে )-I looked over the paper at a glance.
33. At a great speed (দ্রুতগতিতে) He drove the car at a great speed.
34. At a loss (হতবুদ্ধি )- He talks as though he were a fool.
35. Bad blood (শএুতা) There is no bad blood between the two brothers.
36. Be a thorn in one’s side (পথের কাটা) -A daughter is not a thorn in her father’s side.
37. Be in a fix (ফাদে পড়া) — I was in a fix while entertaining my guest at a costly restaurant.
38. Bear fruit (ফলপ্রসূ হওয়া) – All his efforts bore fruit.
39. Bear testimony to (সাক্ষ্য দেওয়া )- Your words should bear testimony to your moral character.
40. Beast of prey (শিকারি পশু )-The lion is a beast of prey.
41. Beauty sleep (প্রথম প্রহরের ঘুম) – You should not wake him up from his beauty sleep.
42. Because of (জন্য)-, I could to attend the meeting because of my illness.
43. Before long ( অতি শিঘ্র)- He will come back before long.
44. Behind the screen (পর্দার আড়ালে )- The big guns control everything from behind the screen.
45. Bell the cat (এগিয়ে আসা ) Everybody knows the situation. but there is none to hell the cat.
46. Belong to ( মালিক হওয়া) – The book belongs to me.
47. Better half (স্ত্রী) – He is worried about the ill-health of his better half.
48. Bone of contention (বিবাদের বিষয় ). The piece of land is the bone of contention between the two brothers.
49. Book-worm (ভীষণ পড়ুয়া) – He is a book worm.
50. Bread and butter ( প্রিয় বস্তু) – Bread and butter is dear to all.
51. Bring to a stand-still (অচল করা) The factory was brought to a stand-still due to a shortage of funds.
52. Bring to book (শাস্তি দেওয়া) The boy was brought to book for his negligence.
53. Bring to mind (স্মরণ করা)-I could not bring his name to mind.
54. Broad daylight (প্রকাশ্য দিবালোকে) The murder was committed in broad daylight.
55. Burning question (জরুরি বিষয়) World peace is the burning question of the day.
56. By all means (সর্বতোভাবে)- I promised to help him by all means.
57. By and by (শিঘ্রই)- All the players left the field by and by.
58. Body and soul (জীবনধারণ )- The poor can hardly keep their body and soul together.
59.৷ Call a spade a spade (সত্যি কথা সোজাসুজি বলা) – An honest man is bold enough to call a spade a spade.
60. Capital punishment (মৃত্যুদন্ড)- He was given capital punishment.
61. Carry coal to Newcastle (তেলা মাথায় তেল দেওয়া )– To help the rich is to carry coal to Newcastle.
62. Cat out of the bag (গোপন ফাঁস ) An unreliable man can easily let the cat out of the bag.
63. Catch a glimpse (এক নজর দেখা)- The car was moving very fast and I could only catch a glimpse of him.
64. Catch sight of (হটাৎ দেখা )-I caught sight of him in the school.
65. Cats and dogs (মুষলধারে) – It was raining cats and dogs.
66. Chicken-hearted (ভীরু) – The chicken-hearted people shrink from speaking the truth.
67. Cock and bull story (গাঁজাখুরি গল্প) I don’t believe your cock and bull story.
68. Come across (দেখা হওয়া )-I came across him yesterday.
69. Come by (পাওয়া )-I came by a purse on the street yesterday.
70. Come into fashion (প্রচলিত হওয়া)- Tight garments have once again come into fashion.
71. Come into force (কার্যকরী হওয়া) This rule will come into force very soon.
72. Come of age (সাবালক হওয়া) The boy came of age.
73. Come off ( অনুষ্ঠিত হওয়া )– My sister’s marriage ceremony comes off tomorrow.
74. Come off with flying colors (সফল হওয়া )- He came off with flying colors in the teeth of all opposition.
75. Come short of (কম পড়া) His profit came short of his expectations.
76. Come to a halt (থেমে যাওয়া) -The train came to a halt when it reached the signal point.
77. Come to an end (অবসান হওয়া) The vacation came to an end.
78. Come to light (প্রকাশিত হওয়া) The truth came to light.
79. Come to terms (চুক্তি করা) At last the two opposing parties came to terms after a long dispute.
80. Come true (সত্য প্রমাণিত হওয়া) At last my prediction came true.
81. Confined to bed (শয্যাশায়ী) -He is confined to bed for about a week.
82. Crocodile tears (মায়াকান্না) Some rich people shed crocodile tears for the poor.
83. Crying need (অতি প্রয়োজনীয়) Primary Education is the crying need of the people of Bangladesh.
84. Cut jokes at (ঠাট্টা করা) – Don’t cut jokes at the poor.
85. Cut to the quick (মর্মাহত হওয়া) – His remarks cut me to the quick.
86. Day by day (দিনে দিনে) His condition is getting worse day by day.
87. Day dream (দিবাস্বপ্ন) We should not kill time in daydreams.
88. Dead against (ঘোরবিরোধী) He is dead against me.
89. Dead letter (অচল) -This law is a dead letter now.
90. Dilly dally (অযথা দেরি করা) If you dilly dally, you will not be able to catch the train.
91. Din and bustles (আবর্জনা)- The college is situated far away from the din and bustles of the city.
92. Eat humble pie ( অপমান হজম করে ক্ষমা চাওয়া )- He misbehaved with his teacher and ate a humble pie.
93. En-route to (কোথাও যাবার পথে) – His father halted at Dubai en-route to London.
94. Every now and then (যখন তখন )- Don’t disturb me every now and then.
95. Eye to eye (একমত) – He cannot be eye to eye with me on this matter.
96. Face to face (মুখোমুখি) They fought face to face.
97. Fair and square (নিরপেক্ষ )- He must be fair and square in his dealings.
98. Fair play (ন্যায়বিচার) The convict begged for fair play.
99. Fall from the cloud ( আকাশ থেকে পড়া) -He féll from the clouds hearing the news.
100. Fall in with (হটাৎ দেখা )-I fell in with him in the market.
101. Fall off (ঝরে পড়া )- During winter, leaves fall off from trees.
102. Fall out (ঝগড়া করা)- Generally, co-wives fall out with each other.
103. Far and near (সর্বএ) – His fame spread far and near.
104. Few and far between (কদাচিৎ )- His visits to my house are now few and far between.
105. Get the sack (বরখাস্ত )- The manager of the office got the sack for stealing money.
106. Get well (আরোগ্য লাভ করা)- He is getting well from his illness.
107. Give birth to (জন্ম দেওয়া) – She has given birth to a male child.
108. Give ear to (কান দেওয়া )- We should not give ear to criticism.
109. Go astray (বিপথে যাওয়া )- If you associate with bad boys, you will go astray.
110. Go hand in hand (একএে )-Illiteracy goes hand in hand with poverty.
111. Go through (ভালো করে পড়া )- He never goes through his textbook.
112. Go to the dogs (নষ্ট হওয়া) Rimon has gone to the dogs.
113. Greek to one (অবাধ্য) -Chemistry is all Greek to me.
114. Green-eye (ঈর্ষা)- Do not be a green-eye to your friend’s success.
115. Half the battle (অর্ধেক বিজয়) If you are honest, you will win half the battle of your life.
116. Hard and fast (ধরাবাঁধা) – There is no hard and fast rule in Algebra.
117. Hard times (দুঃসময় )- You should help your relations in their hard times.
118. Hard-up (অর্থ কষ্ট )-I am very hard up now.
119. Have an eye to (লক্ষ রাখা) – Guardians should have an eye to activities of their wards.
120. Head and shoulders ( সবদিক দিয়ে )– He is head and shoulders much superior to me.
121. Head or tail (মাথামুণ্ডু) -I could not make head or tail of his speech.
122. Haves and have-nots ( ধনী ও দরিদ্র) – Islam does not differentiate between haves and have-nots
123. In-person (সশরীরে )- He came in-person to see me.
124. In a body (একযোগে )– The workers went to the leaders in a body.
125. In a fix (হতবুদ্ধি )– When he asked me the question I was in a fix.
126. In a hurry (তাড়াহুড়া করা) He is always in a hurry.
127. In a mood (মেজাজে) – At present, I am not in a mood to listen to your cock and bull stories.
128. In accordance with ( অনুসারে) -I must work in accordance with your advice.
129. In addition to ( ছাড়াও) – He has to do the duties of an accountant in addition to a peon.
130. In a decent way (সুন্দরভাবে
) I treated him in a decent way.
131. In association with (সহায়তায় )– He founded the hospital in association with his friends.
132. In black and white (লিখিতভাবে )- Give your statement in black and white.
133. In cash (নগদ টাকায়) I paid the man in cash.
134. In cold blood (ঠান্ডা মাথায়) He was killed in cold blood.
135. In connection with ( সমপর্কে )- He knows nothing in connection with the event.
136. In consequence of (ফলে)– He will be ruined in consequence of his fàilure.
137. In course of time ( কালক্রমে )- In course of time, you will become a poet.
138. In defence of ( সমর্থনে)– He said this in defence of his activities.
139. In due course (যথাসময়ে) You will know everything in due course.
140. In due time ( (যথাসময়ে)– He married in due time.
141. In fine (উপসংহার )– In fine, he assured me for getting the job.
142. In the jaws of (কবলে)– The ship fell in a storm and the passengers were in the jaws of death,
143. In the long run (পরিণামে) Sinners shall suffer in the long run.
144. In the midst of ( মাঝে), He lives in the midst of plenty.
145. In the nick of time (ঠিক সময়ে) I reached the station in the nick of time.
146. In time (সময়মতো)-I reached the station in time.
147. In view of (বিবেচনায় )– He may be pardoned in view of his tender
148. In vogue (প্রচলিত) – The dress is now not in vogue.
149. Ins and outs ( খুটিনাটি) – He knows the ins and outs of his family.
150. Jack of all trades ( সবজান্তা )- Mr Jekob is a jack of all trades but master of none.
151. Keep an eye on (চোখ রাখা)– The guard keeps an eye on the prisoner.
152. Keep in the dark (না জানানো)– Everybody was Keep in the dark about the matter.
153. Keep up late (রাত জাগা)- He keeps up late to study.
154. Key stone (মূলনীতি) – Speaking the truth should be the keystone of us.
155. Knocking at the door (অতি নিকটে) – Our examination is knocking at the door.
156. low of the land (দেশাচার) One should obey the law of the land.
157. Level best (সাধ্যমতো)-I shall try my level best to help you.
158. Lie in wait (ওত পেতে থাকা) Tigers lie in wait to prey upon the deer.
159. Long and short ( সারমর্ম) – The long and short of the story is this.
160. Long since (অনেক আগে)–I have not heard from him long since,
161. Look after (পরিচর্যা করা )– I look after my parents.
162. Maiden speech (প্রথম বক্তৃতা) His maiden speech pleased all.
163. Make haste (তাড়াতাড়ি করা) Make haste, else you will miss the train.”
164. Make room (জায়গা করা) –Please make room for me to sit down.
165. More or less ( কম- বেশি)- More or less he is honest.
166. Near at hand (হাতের কাছেই), His final examination is near at hand.
167. Nick of time (ঠিক সময়ে) – He came here in the nick of time.
168. No love lost (মিলেমিশে না থাকা)- There is no love lost between the two brothers.
169. Now and then ( মাঝে মাঝে) – Please write to me now and then.
170. Null and void (বাতিল) This law has been declared null and void.
171. Of course (অবশ্যই )- Of course, I shall help you.
172. Of no use ( অর্থহীন)- The book was of no use to him.
173. Oil the wheel (ভদ্র হওয়া) – Education should teach all-to oil the wheel.
174. On a large scale (ব্যাপকভাবে) He takes bribes on a large scale.
175. On account of (কারণবশত), I was absent on account of illness.
176. Pick one’s pocket (পকেট মারা )- A pickpocket tried to pick my pocket in the crowded market.
177. Pass away ( মারা যাওয়া )-He passed away in 2004.
178. Pave the way ( পথ তৈরি করা )- Education paves the way to succeed in me.
179. Pick a quarrel (ঝগড়া বাধানো) Don’t pick a quarrel with others.
180. Play tricks (চাতুরী করা) – Do not play tricks with anybody.
181. Red-handed (হাতেনাতে) – The thief was caught red-handed.
182. Right-hand man (প্রধান সহায়ক )– He is the right-hand man of the President.
183. Round peg in a square whole (অযোগ্য লোক) – He is a round peg in a square whole.
184. Run into debt (ঋণগ্রস্ত হওয়া )- He ran into debt.
185. Run short (ঘাটতি) -I ran short of money.
186. Safe and sound (নিরাপদ )- They reached home safe and sound.
187. Salt of the earth (আদর্শ ব্যক্তি) Such men as A. K. Fazlual Huq are the salt of the earth.
188. Shoulder to shoulder ( সবাই মিলেমিশে )- We should work shoulder to shoulder.
189. Show temper (মেজাজ দেখানো )- We should not show temper to anybody else.
190. Take a fancy to ( পছন্দ করা)- I took a fancy to a shirt.
191. Take a heavy toll of (ক্ষতি হওয়া) – The cyclone took a heavy toll of human lives.
192. Take advantage of (সুযোগ গ্রহণ করা )– He took advantage of my simplicity.
193. Take effect (বলবৎ হওয়া )-The new government orders will take effect from the first of June.
194. Take place (ঘটা )- The incident took place in a second.
195. Take the chair (সভাপতি হওয়া )- The Minister took the chair in the meeting.
196. Take to heart ( ব্যবহারে মর্মাহত হওয়া )- He took my behaviour to heart.
197. Up and doing ( উঠে পড়ে লাগা) Be up and doing if you wish to succeed.
198. Victim of ( বলি) He is a victim of circumstances.
199. Without any delay (দেরি না করে) Finish the task without any delay.
200. Without fail (অবশ্যই) You must attend the meeting without fail.